Friday, May 10, 2013

PROJECT SHARED ROOM {The Before}

Designing a room in my home takes quite a bit of thought. I've noticed there is a natural process for me, a series of things I always do before and while starting a room. Maybe this will help you as you tackle your next project. We are currently in the process of designing our combined bedroom/nursery. This might be my toughest challenge yet, but so far I am loving it.  

First, I start off with drawings. It always helps me to draw sketches of my room so I can see how the many ideas in my mind might come together. It helps me answer the basic questions of, is this realistic and will it flow?

I knew I wanted this room to have both aztec and geometric elements to it. And while I tend to love feminine design, I will be sharing this space with two men, so my design need to compliment their style also. 

Here are a few of my sketches...
The second phase I spend an insane amount of time on, online shopping. This is important for me. I need to know I have shopped around and haven't made an impulse decision. I'm very particular so when I find something I love and it is in my price range I make sure to really ponder it for a couple of days/sometimes weeks, show the husband and then purchase it.

Here are some pictures of what the room currently looks like...I guess you can say these are my "Before" pictures...
We've lived here for almost two years, and hoping we would have a little one join us eventually I did minimal design for this room. The curtains, furniture, lamps, mirror and bedding are what we've been using and helped give me a base of where to start as far as colors and inspiration. 

Make sure to check back and see the progress of our shared room. I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Joanna

Curtains/Urban Outfitters >> Comforter/West Elm >> Lamps/thrifted&handmade >> Furniture/second-hand >> Mirror/Marshalls >> Rug/Urban Outfitters

No comments:

Post a Comment